Complying the responsibilities of Welfare State, Department of Women and Child Development, Government of NCT of Delhi is implementing following Schemes for the Welfare of Deprived Classes of Society :
1. Child Welfare : Admission in Institutions established under Juvenile Justice Act is given by the order of Juvenile Justice Board & Child welfare committee. Admission in Non-Custodial Institutions is given on the recommendations of the Admission Committee. Facilities of free Boarding –Lodging, Clothing, Education, Vocational Training, Entertainment etc. are provided to the inmates admitted in these Institutions & try to bring them in the stream line of the society. For getting admission in Day Care Centers/Crèches, parents have to apply on the prescribed form, which is available in the office of the In-charge of the Center free of cost. After completing all the formalities as per rule, Superintendent of the Center gives admission & parents will have to pay the fee to keep the ward in the Center.
2. Women Welfare : Department is running one Statutory (Nirmal Chhaya) and three Non-Statutory Residential Institutions (Short Stay Home, Widow Home & After Care Home for Women) for upliftment and empowerment of Women. In statutory institution, admission is given by the order of the concerned courts and in non-statutory institutions admission is given on the recommendations of the Admission Committee.
3. GRC/STREE Shakti : The Gender Resource Centers (GRC) are envisaged as instrument to bring social Economic and legal empowerment of Women particularly those belonging to the under privileged section of society. PO Stree Shakti ensures its implementation. The activities at GRC/Sub-Center level are run in collaboration with the NGOs, under Bhagidari initiatives. Besides other residential Institutions, under Anti-Dowry Program the department is running Reconciliation-cum-Guidance Centers at Head Quarter and as well as District levels, where proper guidance is given to needy women. In statutory institutions admission is given by the order of the concerned courts and in non-statutory institutions admission is given on the recommendations of the Admission Committee. In short stay home, admission is given immediately as and when the member approaches.
4. Financial Assistance Schemes : Department is implementing various Financial Assistance Schemes of Government of India and Government of Delhi for the benefit of different sections through Financial Assistance Cell i.e. Old Age Assistance Scheme, Financial Assistance to Widows, Widow’s daughter marriage, Unemployment allowances to physically challenged, Financial Assistance to Physically Handicap, Scholarship to the children of widows, Financial Assistance to old & infirm persons, Financial Assistance to TB Patients, Leprosy Patients, breast feeding women of SC/ST community, Scheme for Maternity Benefit, National Family Benefit Scheme, Rehabilitation grant to the inmates released from the correctional institutions, Financial Assistance to dependant family members of incarcerated prisoners in Delhi Jail, Girl Child Protection Scheme.
5. Drug De-addiction Programme : For Prevention of Drug abuse there is Drug Abuse Prevention and Coordination Unit is working at Head Quarter which organizes different public awareness programs against this evil.
6. Implementation of Integerated Child Development Scheme : Department is running 33 ICDS projects in NCT of Delhi to provide free school education, immunization, health check-up, supplementary nutrition to 0-6 yrs. children & supplementary nutrition to pregnant & breast feeding women under Integrated Child Development Scheme sponsored by Center Government
7. G.I.A. to Voluntary Organizations : Under various schemes of Delhi Government Department provides Grant-in-aid to voluntary organization & under various schemes of Government of India. Department recommends the applications for grant-in-aid of voluntary organization. Apart from this Dept. also gives license to run residential institutions for the welfare of women & children.
8. Implementation of Various Social Legislations : Department is implementing various social legislation’s like - Juvenile Justice Act, 1986, The Immoral Traffic Prevention Act, 1956, The Probation of Offenders Act,1958, The Women and Children Institutions Licensing Act, 1956, The Good Conduct Prisoners Probation Release Act,1926, Dowry Prevention Act, 1984, The Delhi Commission for Women Act,1995.Delhi Dowry Prohibition Rules 2000.
9. Probation Services : Department provides probation services & prison welfare services to the destitute , Criminal children & adult through its Chief Probation Office & different units.
10. Prohibition Services : Mission of the Department is to promote healthy living among the citizens of Delhi by educating them regarding ill effects of liquor and drug abuse. Dte. of Prohibition under its prohibition publicity campaign is pleading for awareness generation for early prevention of drug abuse and alcoholism. A wide publicity explaining the evils is being organized to reach the target population directly. Various De-addiction Centersare all Major Hospitals like Safdarjung, AIIMS, LNJP, GB Pant, GTB Hospitals- Providingfree treatment, Institute of Human Behaviour an Allied Sciences, Dilshad Garden, Delhi andNavjyoti Foundation, Delhi, IIIrd Floor, Sarai Rohilla Police Station Complex, Delhi-110007.